If you haven't been to a New York Liberty game or you missed the season opener, well, there's a lot of season left. One of my favorite things to do with my daughter is attend New York Liberty games. Not much beats watching basketball at The Garden. Here are my 5 reasons why Liberty games are so awesome!
1) They play in The Garden. Madison Square Garden is one of the best places in the country to watch a game. The energy of the fans. The history of the arena. Seriously, nothing beats it!
2) Tina Charles. I had the pleasure of attending a Liberty event that featured Head Coach Bill Laimbeer. A basketball legend in his own right, Coach Laimbeer told us that Charles is one of the best players in the world. And she is coming off of a season when she was the MVP runner-up and led the league in scoring and rebounding! Not to mention that she won another Olympic Gold Medal last summer. Rumors are that she has spent the offseason extending her range. Yeah, she's getting better, and she plays her home games at The Garden!
3) Family friendly and affordable. The words affordable and New York City are not often seen in the same sentence. And to be fair, friendly and New York City are not often paired either. But, the Liberty genuinely offer family friendly and affordable fun. You can find tickets in the $20 range. The Liberty will play 6 home games at 3pm. They even offer a partial season ticket plan for those Sunday games as well as other great deals. There are lots of options for food. If the food is out of your price range, a 3pm start time allows you to have lunch before or dinner afterward. They also offer great giveaways. Maddie the mascot makes the rounds. There are even three dance teams, including one of senior citizens and a kids' group. So, bring your family, and you will definitely have a blast.
4) They also host some of the world's best players. It's a great opportunity to cheer for your home team, but to also see players like Sue Bird, Maya Moore, Skylar Diggins-Smith, and Candace Parker.
5) The Liberty are one of the best teams in the league. The last two seasons, the Liberty have been a top 3 team. They are again a serious championship contender. Coach Laimbeer has the team play some hard nosed defense with players like Kiah Stokes. That's what New Yorkers love. In addition, guards Epiphany Prince, Sugar Rodgers, and the aforementioned Tina Charles put the ball in the hoop with regularity. A championship banner at The Garden is not out of the question.
I hope these reasons will lead you to Madison Square Garden to watch the Liberty. If you're not in New York City, the WNBA plays in 11 other cities across the country! So, get out there, watch some superb basketball, and support a league full of amazing women! See you at The Garden!